Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Easy Tasty Homemade Ravioli

I am so excited to share this recipe.  I can't believe how easy it was to make.  Yes, there is some arm work involved.  But you can make up a big batch at once and then have several dinners in no time. I found the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens via Pinterest and made a few changes.

Lets start with, I posted on my Facebook profile that before I could start this post I had a mountain of dishes to do before I could sit down and write this out.  This is what a day of dishes, plus baking 26 muffins, plus making ravioli looks like (doesn't included the stoneware muffin pan or the dishes that went in the dishwasher):


I also want everyone to know that I do not have an elaborate kitchen.  I am not doing this old fashioned living with some fancy food show kitchen.  We live in a small 1200 sq ft townhouse that I make do with because we are content for the time being.  Just because I have a small kitchen, I haven't let it hinder what I love to do.  Here is where I prepare all of my creations:



So, lets get on with the cooking (or freezing).  I want you to know: THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!! These are homemade ravioli.  Do not stress yourself out. They are not coming from a machine that punches them out perfectly every time.  I had square, kinda rounded, and even triangle-ish.  I believe, the more not processed they look, the better they taste.  Remember: these are HOMEMADE.

I set them on the baking sheet when I was done making them until I cooked them.

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups all purpose flour (you could also sub 1/2 cup for whole wheat)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 Beaten Egg
  • 1 Tbsp water

Directions:


1. In a food processor, combine flour, 2 eggs, and salt. Cover and process until well mixed. If necessary, with processor running, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water through feed tube until mixture forms a dough. Remove dough and shape into a ball. You can also mix this using a stand mixer if you don't have a food processor.
2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough about 1 minute or until smooth. Cover dough and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 3-4 portions, depending on how big and thick you want the ravioli to be.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-inch square. This is where I was saying don't stress.  Look at my pics and you can totally tell that I didn't have a perfect square! If necessary, trim the sheet into a square with a small sharp knife. Dough will be right at or almost paper thin.


Yes...that is a rolling pin if you've never seen one before!!

Yep...totally nowhere near a square!

I trimmed it to make it a square.

5. Cut your rolled-out pasta dough into two-inch-wide strips using a sharp knife or a pastry wheel for ruffled edges. I learned in x-ray school that about 3 fingers is 2".

I made a little slit at the top with a sharp knife every 2"




Then I cut it the legnth
6.Brush the dough strips lightly with a beaten egg and Tbsp of water mixed (i.e. egg wash). This will help form a seal.

I know it's hard to tell, but it does have egg brushed on the dough.
 7. Fill the ravioli by dropping the filling at 1-inch intervals along two of the strips. I used about 1 tsp of acorn squash for each ravioli.


8. Cover the ravioli filling with another strip of dough.

9. Press down firmly on the top strip of dough to seal the edges around the filling. It's ok if some of the filling comes out when you are pressing down.  Just try to contain it as best as you can.


10. Cut each ravioli from the strip using the pastry wheel (or sharp knife). And you're done! This recipe made 21 ravioli for me.


Cut and Ready to be used!!!
Now you have to make a decision: Use immediately or freeze??

Use immediately:
1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
2. Drop in  about half of the ravioli, depending on the size of your pot.  You don't want to crowd them together because you don't want them to stick together.


3. Boil for 3-4 minutes.
4. Enjoy topped with your favorite sauce!!

Freeze:
1.Spray a pan or baking sheet (one that will fit in the freezer)..
2. Lay the ravioli flat on pan or baking sheet, without touching.

Before freezing
3. Put in the freezer for 30 minutes (this is called flash freezing; it will prevent the ravioli from sticking together in the freezer).
After Flash Freezing
4. Remove from the freezer and put on a labeled bag. Make sure bag is labeled with contents, date, and how to cook them. When you want to enjoy them from the freezer, just follow the cooking instructions above except boil for 5-6 minutes.


There are endless possibilities for filling homemade ravioli.  Some of our favorites or ones we want to try are:
  • Spinach with Italian seasoning and feta cheese
  • Sweet potato
  • Cheese
  • Sweet Italian Sausage
  • Pumpkin
If you have a favorite, please share.  We are always up for trying new things.

Happy Cooking!!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment